It’s here! The Oscars are here!
Okay…I still have a few hours to wait, but not many!
I look forward to awards season every year. I’m not sure exactly what it is that draws me to The Golden Globes, The Film Independent Spirit Awards, The SAG Awards…the every other kind of awards…and, ultimately, The Oscars. But whatever it is, the pull is powerful.
Tonight marks the 84th awards for the Oscars. The naked gold man has been around for a while, yet he never really ages, does he?
So what do we have to look forward to tonight? A few things, I think. Here’s what I’m anticipating:
- Billy Crystal Returns!! I’m rather excited about this. I’ve always liked Billy’s turns at hosting and I can’t wait to see what he has in store for the opening. Personally, I thought Anne Hathaway did a good job last year – considering she had to deal with that schlep James Franco. Put Anne up there with Billy…now that would be a nice hosting team.
- I’m actually familiar with most of the movies that have been nominated. While I haven’t seen all of them (I plan to), I’ve at least heard about them; I know what they are about (basically); I know the actors that star in these movies. It will be a nice change from previous years when I would say, “What movie is THAT? When was it released?”
- The list of presenters looks good.
- I’m glad to see that all of the big 4 acting winners from last year will be back to present awards. I hope Christian Bale decides to shave this time, though. I don’t like that scruffy look on him. And Natalie Portman after giving birth – meow!
- There will be lots of eye candy: Emma Stone (pppuurrr), Angelina Jolie, Halle Berry, Penelope Cruz, Tom Cruise, Bradley Cooper (yeah, he’s good looking), Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep (girlfriend still has it goin’ on), Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy…wait, what?!
- The cast of Bridesmaids! Hello! I think that just stands for itself. Woot!
- The Red Carpet. Yes, I love, love, love the red carpet. I admit it…I love looking at the pretty dresses. Those of you who know me well are thinking, “Huh! Those are words I never expected Carleen to say.” Yes, yes…I know, fashionista that I am. But it’s true. I love looking at what people are wearing and how they did their hair and whether or not the shoes are a good match. I’ll pay attention to all of the best and worst dressed lists that come around after the fact, too.
- The acceptance speeches. Yes, I will critique them. The former instructor of Speech Communication and Performance Studies that is within me comes bubbling up. (Sadly, sometimes it’s more like gurgling.)